Friday 31 May 2013

Yes, Virginia ;)

Hello! Tasnim here and am very happy as well as excited to be presenting today's guest star! I first learned of her through the Hero Arts flickr group. Immediately, I could tell that she was a very well known card-maker and with a very distinct style. I would visit her blog and read her posts about cards and travelling, it was always such a treat! 
Now I am happy to call her a friend and a fellow design teamie at Runway Inspired Challenge! Please join me to welcome... Virginia!

Name: Virginia Lu

1. Tell us a little about yourself and your family.
Originally from Taiwan, I have lived in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada for more than half of my life. I came to Canada to get my Master’s Degree in Education and ended up marrying a Canadian. My hubby John is a family physician and I used to help him run his medical office. Both of my kids are in university. My daughter is finishing her Master’s degree and will start her PhD this fall in Health Studies. My son is in Nanotechnology Engineering. My family often roll their eyes when it comes to my crafting as I am hopelessly addicted to it. However, they have been most supportive of me and even accompanied me to meet my card-making friends from the UK, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden and USA.

2. How and when did you start crafting?
I was always fascinated with paper and stationery since I was little, but it was not until my son David was born that I took up stamping/card-making thanks to the introduction by my LSS. I needed an outlet to relieve stress dealing with my needy baby boy at the time.  I was an occasional carmaker as I only made cards /invites for my son’s and daughter’s birthdays.  Fast forward to 2008 as that was the year my daughter finally settled into university life. I started to submit/participate in Hero Arts Flickr and had lots of fun with the on-line card-making community. In 2009, I started my blog ‘Yes, Virginia...” and the rest is history.

3. From where do you draw your inspiration?
For me, inspiration exists everywhere as long as you look for them. I usually get inspired by shopping/browsing the store displays, catalogues, magazines and sites like Pinterest and Etsy. I also love the  period dramas such as “Mad Men”.  I started a series in my blog called” Mad About...Mad Men”. Basically, I took the characters, styles, and designs and incorporated all those into my card-making. I also love to be inspired by fashion and that is the reason why I am part of the DT crew for Runway Inspired Challenge.

4. How would you describe your style?
My style is clean and simple. However, I do like to add details and wow factors to my designs.

5. Tell us briefly about your design process.
It depends on the theme of the designs. Often, I start out with the images/stamps sets/techniques in mind. Sometimes my visions work, sometimes they don’t. I welcome the unexpected and I just go from there. I am more of an impulsive and spontaneous person, so that kind of reflects in my work.  I know that can be a weakness so I try to plan as much as I can. To me, the process is the best part of the creating.

6. What are the 5 top tools in your crafting space?
My Cuttlebug, Fiskar scissors, Tim Holtz Design Ruler, Making Memories paper-piercer and toothpicks!

7. What’s your favorite technique?
I like all kinds of techniques so I can’t pick a favourite. I love masking, distressing, paper-piecing and embossing. I am not  great at coloring and I find that I don’t color as much.

8. What are your go-to colors?
I love orange and yellow.  They are the sunny colors that I use again and again. I think it may have to do with my outgoing personality.

9. Do you sell your projects?
No, I don’t. I donate my cards to the church that I attend and give/send to people that I care about. Maybe I will set up a shop at Etsy some day!?

10. How much time do you spend crafting every week?
My hubby would say 168 hours as he thinks I live, breathe and dream about card-making all the time. Honestly, it’s about 2-3 hours a day. Now that my kids are grown and I am no longer required to work in the medical office, I craft to my heart’s content every day.





Virginia, It was wonderful to know more about you and your family. Thank you SO much for being with us here today!
Ladies, remember we're hosting a giveaway next Friday to celebrate featuring our 100th artist... trust me its too good to miss ;) keep checkin'

10 comments:

Gerry said...

So happy to see Virginia spotlighted. She is so talented and kind. Love her favorite colors, as they are mine also. I wait anxiously for her blogpost every day.

jintyoo7 said...

Well hello, Virginia :D So happy to see you featured! Not only are you an fantastic card maker, you have a heart of gold! Your blogging is not only chock full of inspiration, it is a constant source of "entertainment" too - Thank you, our crafting community is privileged to have you :)

Barb Ghig said...

It was so much fun to get to know Virginia a little better...thanks so much for sharing her with us! Love her gorgeous cards, too...WOW!!!

Deepti said...

It was fun to know you Virginia and your spontaneity works wonders :), lovely creations

Isha Gupta said...

Wonderful interview!!! I love Virginia's work:)

Karen Dunbrook said...

I love Virginia's bright and happy blog. She has such a fun sense of humour too. I had the big pleasure and honour of meeting her in person at Scrapfest this past April. Although we live in the same city, I had never met her before. She is fun. Enjoy your time in the spotlight mf.
hugs,
Karen

wienerhoneymooners said...

Lovely interview! Thanks.

Unknown said...

Fabulous interview with Virginia! I love her style and she is just one of the sweetest, most encouraging bloggers out there! So happy to see her featured here!

Hussena said...

I have admired Virgina's work from the time I came across her blog not only is she a creative genius but also a fabulous writer ...her post are so well interwoven with bits of humor and her everyday experience that I really enjoy visiting her blog ...I am very happy to see her featured here and also getting to know more about her :)

Sue McRae said...

Great interview with Virginia. I have been a follower of her creations for over 4 years and have loved how her style and creativity have evolved.

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment...Your kind words mean the WORLD to me :)